Thursday, April 10, 2008

I finally feel ready.....sort of.

The brooder is finally done. Although it's not the prettiest thing I've ever made, it's functional and that's what matters at this point. So now I have everything I need for the chicks except the feed, litter and the chicks themselves.

Speaking of the chicks themselves, only three more days. A month ago it seemed so far away. Now it feels like it's coming so quickly. Now that I feel as ready as I can be, I'm anxious for them. I'm sure that means that time will seem to stand still the next couple days. Maybe if I work hard on the house work it will take my mind off it..........nah. :)

I can tell I'm going to have a hard time sticking to just a dozen chicks. I've looked at so many pictures of chicks and full grown chickens lately that I'm dreaming of having a large flock with plenty of eggs to share wtih family and friends and possibly to sell. It would be nice to make a little money to help with feed and such. The one thing that keeps me from wanting to go crazy buying twice as many is that if I wait and let a hen or two set, I could end up with plenty of nice laying hens in a year or two that I get for free.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin