Friday, December 31, 2010

Freising

I've really taken my time getting all the posts from our trip to Germany posted, but I couldn't leave out the city of Freising. It's the city we stayed in and it was wonderful.

On our first full day there we walked around down town. This big open area was packed full with the farmer's market. It was amazing. Everything you could imagine. Not only did we see tons of fresh produce, but there was also baked goods, eggs, flowers, and meat. I would love to have a market like that here.

These bears are all over the city.

This is only a small sampling.


Here we see the bear with St. Corbinian.

I'm sure you won't mind a couple more....

This one is my favorite. Would wouldn't love a giant bear made of cheese?

I don't recall the name of this fountain. I just thought it was beautiful and I needed to share it.

I found out while we were there than Aldi is a German company. I had no idea! This may have been the most familiar thing we saw in the "normal" every day stuff while we were there. In the U.S. we have Aldi South, as does Bavaria. I'm not sure what the difference is between Aldi North and Aldi South other than they are two separate, yet connected companies. At one time there was only one company, the brothers who started the company split it in two after a dispute.


We saw many water ways in Germany. This one was one of the prettiest pictures I took while there. I'd love to see it in late spring when the foliage is green and everything is in bloom.

This was a 'green grocer' in Freising. I'm not sure what it would be called in German though. The whole store was nothing but fresh produce. How wonderful that would be!

Rob pushing our friends twins up the steep climb to the Freising Cathedral. He was so nice to do that for us.

Here is the court yard area at the top of the hill. You can see pictures of the inside in my previous post here.

And here is just some grand fun! Someone in the city sets up this little gnome and figure village in their yard. I'm told that they change it around a bit from time to time to keep with the holidays and seasons. Kind of like those geese that you can get different outfits for, but on a much grander scale. They even have a little bench so the children can get a better view over the fence.

Our trip to Germany was great. We had a wonderful time there and hope to go back again some day to see the things we didn't have time for this time around. However, the very best part of it was getting to spend time with dear friends. Huge thanks again go to Thomas and Leslie for opening their home to us.

2 comments:

Keir said...

Hi, the statue's name is the 'Mohrenbrunnen' and dates from 1700 (although it was replaced by the copy you took a photo of in 1993.
I live in Freising and have been taking pics of it during the time of the Nazis and today if you're interested (I teach history near Dachau):
http://www.tracesofevil.com/search/label/Freising

Heidi said...

Thank you so much for the information. Your web site is fascinating, thank you for the link. I loved our time visiting friends in Freising and hope we are able to go back again someday.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin