Monday, June 13, 2011

A Walk Out Back

I was going to call this post "A Walk In The Woods", but that doesn't quite fit since most of our walk was around the woods rather than in the woods.



It was so nice to see everything in bloom and all the green around us.

I don't remember ever noticing the Locust trees having so many blooms before. They were just gorgeous this year.

They make up the majority of the woods on the east side of our property.

I was happy to see that the black berries, raspberries and dew berries are all blooming nicely as well. I'm not sure what is going on, but the black berries seem to be early this year. I'm going to have to watch them close. My goal is to make all of the jelly and jams that we need for a whole year. Even better would be if I had extras that I could use as gifts.
Ruger is especially fond of our walks out back since he gets to be off his leash. He does so great with the "Leave It" command that he will even stop when chasing a rabbit.


One of the best parts of our walk was discovering several baby oak trees up on the ridge. When we moved in here almost 12 years ago there was only one young oak tree on the property. I think it was about two years ago that we discovered it was finally producing a few acorns. If all the baby trees survive we will have more than a dozen young oaks.

I love spring and summer when I can walk in the woods and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells. It almost makes me forget how much I hate snow.

2 comments:

rhonda jean said...

It certainly looks lovely there and they're bushes and trees I'm not familiar with. Enjoy your walks.

Heidi said...

Rhonda Jean,
Thank you so much for your comment! I do very much enjoy this time of year even though it keeps me so busy. Soon we will be picking berries and making jam along with the gardening and taking care of animals.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin