Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BooBoo has a booboo.

Megan's sweet little bantam BooBoo had a trip to the vet today. She was favoring her left foot and was obviously in pain. She was also staying at the back of the brooder, which is very unusual for her. She is one of the first to run up for attention when the lid opens. When I finally got ahold of her, I saw that she had what looked to me like a hair tightly wrapped around two toes. The circulation was cut off and Rob and I couldn't get it off ourselves.

Luckily there is a vet at our regular vet's office that treats birds. Dr. Scott saw us and it took all of about 10 seconds to get her all fixed up. And the best part is that they didn't charge us for the visit! I was amazed and thrilled. That office has been so good to us for so many years. I'm really glad that we can keep them for the birds too.

BooBoo Chicken is doing just fine now. However, she is giving me quite the cold shoulder this evening. It defiantly stressed her out being removed from the flock. Perhaps she is plotting her revenge. On the plus side, Rocky (our little bantam rooster) seems to have become quite protective of her.

Now I'm sure regular readers are wondering if the chickens are in the coop yet or not. The answer would have to be no. *sigh* But we are very close. The coop is in place. The window and roosts are in. Unfortunately, I still have to caulk some holes and Rob has to fix the big hole he put in it with the tractor. Both of those things were suppose to be done today, but the trip to the vet became the top priority instead. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a good report for you on that front.

There is a part of me that is going to miss waking up to their chirping every morning. At this point they sound much like song birds most of the time. I suppose that just means I will be spending more time outside with them.

If anyone out there is considering chickens, I would have to say go for it. Even as frustrated as I get at them STILL being in the house, they are so fun to watch and interact with. Each chicken has it's own unique personality.


Random chick pic.


Here's BooBoo.


In the back is the cochin (that I hope is a rooster) and the turken.

Update: I wrote this Wednesday night, but since I'm posting it Thursday morning I thought I would let you all know that BooBoo is doing great this morning and came right up to greet me.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin