Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Chickens are Cooped Up!

as of yesterda morning they are in the coop. FINALLY. I have mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, it's so nice to not have the chicken mess and smell in the house. At the same time, the house seems quiet and empty without them in here.

The move to the coop was a lot of fun. Two of my nephews came over to help. Four kids ranging in age from three years old to seven years old carried the chickens one by one to the coop. I carried the big cochin that we have decided is a rooster. He has been showing a lot of dominance lately, so I didn't know how he would do with the kids. Also, I like him and just plan wanted an excuse to carry him out myself.

For the next several days, the chickens won't be leaving the coop. The theory is that this will reinforce that the coop is home and they will return to it more readily to roost at night. We'll see if it works. At least half of them spent all day today just staring outside watching the big wide world.

If I could find the camera I would post some pictures. Hopefully it surfaces soon.

1 comment:

Danni said...

Congrats! I so remember that "empty house" feeling when my babies moved outside.
Hope that camera turns up - I'm dying to see photos!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin