Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dreaming Of My Garden

What does one do to drive away the dreary blahs that winter snow brings? Order more seeds for spring planting of course.

I found http://www.humeseeds.com today and boy have I had fun. I wanted to order so much more than I did. I had to keep reminding myself that 1) I'm on a budget, 2) I already ordered several seeds, and 3) my time and garden space are limited.

So I settled on herbs I have been wanting. Basil, garlic chives, dill, Italian parsley, and peppermint. Most of those can be easily grown in containers if I don't get time to prepare the beds early enough. Then I had to order a few things just for fun.

We are getting "Mammoth Grey Stripe" Sunflowers. How beautiful are these? They are supose to grow 6 to 12 feet. I'm going to plant them in a circle to make a playhouse for the kids.


If you have never heard of the sunflower playhouse, here's what you do. You plant the flowers in a circle fairly close together. Then when they are nice and tall, you tie the tops together to make a sort of tee pee out of them. The kids are rather excited about this.

I also ordered a couple other sunflower varieties just for fun. I like to plant them for the wild birds.

Then I had to order a couple things just because they plain looked like fun. The girls are very excited over the ornamental pop corn and the multi-colored carrots.


Now I just have to wait for spring. I told Rob I want my cold frames built as my Valentine's Day present. Hopefully he takes me seriously. I can't wait to get started on my garden now and it's not even Christmas yet!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience grasshopper, lol.
Sign up for the seed catalogs and when they come they'll have coupons on them.
Snapper

Danni said...

Love this post! How fun to see that bright, sunny sunflower picture in the middle of December... :-)

There's another kind of tee-pee you can make for your kids, too, that I want to try this next season: http://localfoodblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/bean-teepee.html
I thought this was pretty cool and it will bloom all along the outside!

Anonymous said...

I found you on Chicken in the Road... And my goodness, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one already dreaming of spring. I have started to think about my garden, but haven't purchased anything yet.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin