Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dreaming Of My Garden

What does one do to drive away the dreary blahs that winter snow brings? Order more seeds for spring planting of course.

I found http://www.humeseeds.com today and boy have I had fun. I wanted to order so much more than I did. I had to keep reminding myself that 1) I'm on a budget, 2) I already ordered several seeds, and 3) my time and garden space are limited.

So I settled on herbs I have been wanting. Basil, garlic chives, dill, Italian parsley, and peppermint. Most of those can be easily grown in containers if I don't get time to prepare the beds early enough. Then I had to order a few things just for fun.

We are getting "Mammoth Grey Stripe" Sunflowers. How beautiful are these? They are supose to grow 6 to 12 feet. I'm going to plant them in a circle to make a playhouse for the kids.


If you have never heard of the sunflower playhouse, here's what you do. You plant the flowers in a circle fairly close together. Then when they are nice and tall, you tie the tops together to make a sort of tee pee out of them. The kids are rather excited about this.

I also ordered a couple other sunflower varieties just for fun. I like to plant them for the wild birds.

Then I had to order a couple things just because they plain looked like fun. The girls are very excited over the ornamental pop corn and the multi-colored carrots.


Now I just have to wait for spring. I told Rob I want my cold frames built as my Valentine's Day present. Hopefully he takes me seriously. I can't wait to get started on my garden now and it's not even Christmas yet!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience grasshopper, lol.
Sign up for the seed catalogs and when they come they'll have coupons on them.
Snapper

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Love this post! How fun to see that bright, sunny sunflower picture in the middle of December... :-)

There's another kind of tee-pee you can make for your kids, too, that I want to try this next season: http://localfoodblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/bean-teepee.html
I thought this was pretty cool and it will bloom all along the outside!

raesrambles said...

I found you on Chicken in the Road... And my goodness, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one already dreaming of spring. I have started to think about my garden, but haven't purchased anything yet.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin