Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday This and Thats

I think I killed the earth worms. I forgot to bring them in out of the garage when it got below freezing. When I looked in on them, the surface was frozen solid. :o( I'm bringing them in to thaw and hoping that only the edges actually froze and that the worms are alive and well in the center.

The chickens are tolerating the snow covered ground better than I expected. They actually spend a good deal of the day outside in it. They do huddle under the porch at times, or hang out in the coop more. They also aren't leaving the back yard now.

We are getting as many as seven eggs a day now. That's pretty good for this time of year. I wonder if they will lay like this all winter. We are almost to the solstice. For those wondering what that has to do with chickens and eggs, the solstice is the shortest day of the year. Exposure to light directly effects how much chickens lay eggs. Often they stop laying all together once the daylight hours drop below 10-12 hours a day unless they are provided with a supplemental light source.

The rabbits seem to be doing well also. I can't believe we breed them in just a month. Hopefully that goes well.

Christmas preparations are underway. I think we have our get together's with extended family scheduled OK. Now I just have to finish up the shopping and get it all wrapped.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll have a nice Christmas cookie post soon. In the mean time, here is a nice picture of the chickens and rabbits for you.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin