Friday, June 13, 2008

My Aunt Carole

More and more my mom says I'm reminding her of my Aunt Carole. She says it because of getting the chickens and wanting goats and wanting to raise my own livestock in general. My aunt and uncle had a nice hobby farm when I was young. I loved to go there and see the goats. In fact, I tell everyone that it's my Uncle Tom's fault that I want goats so badly now. I don't really have any clear specific memories of their farm. I just remember that I loved going there. Their life seemed so different and fun and simple.

Now I'm raising my own family and I think about those simple things. I live in the country and our little piece of land is something to cherish. I love that we will have our own chickens for both the meat and the eggs. I hope it will teach my children something about responsibility and the circle of life.

The garden is growing and I'm excited to know that my hard work will provide healthy food for our table. Yes, I said hard work. Simple is peaceful, but it's far from easy much of the time. But the rewards are so much sweeter when it's your sweat and energy going into it.

So back to my Aunt Carole. I don't mind my mom saying I remind her of Aunt Carole. I'd be hard pressed to find a woman more loving and caring than my Aunt Carole. So Aunt Carole if you are reading this, I love you.

1 comment:

Danni said...

What happened to Aunt Carole?
I'd love to see some pictures of your garden...My flowers are in full bloom but my veggies are a bit behind, due to weather and my tardiness in actually planting them. lol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin