Saturday, April 26, 2008

Feeders and Waterers

This is becoming a more difficult to manage expense than I expected. My husband can get 7 gallon plastic buckets free from his work (like five gallon, but taller). So we planned to make a feeder out of one. I found directions somewhere on line. (Sorry, I seem to have lost the link.) Basically what you do is get a plastic tray used for setting a planter pot in and then bolt that to the bottom of the bucket and also put holes in the bottom of the sides of the bucket to let the feed flow into the tray. Sounds like a great and cheap wonderful way to make a feeder, right? And it's even easy to hang due to the handle on the bucket. Well wouldn't you know I can find any of those trays? All the planters I've seen this year have them built in.

I also found for about 1/2 the price of a one gallon waterer, a base that goes on a five gallon bucket (which means it will fit our seven gallon ones). Sounds great, right? Well the place that I found them at couldn't calculate my shipping and I have to wait. They said someone would be calling me shortly. Guess what? I've not heard a word in two days.

I'm sure it will all come together in the end, it usually does. It's just frustrating when I know what I want and what I need. When it sounds so simple and yet I can't seem to get ahold of anything I need.

2 comments:

Kristianna said...

Did you try Home Depot? They usually have the fake terracotta trays in their garden dept. I have not yet gone there this year (which means I'm planting my tomatoes waaaay late).

Danni said...

Do you have craigslist in your area? (If not, it's a local public forum where people put things up for sale -or free- that they don't want anymore). Maybe you have "freecycle"? Anyway, there are lots of places that you can look to find used chicken feeders and waterers, too, if you decide you want to go that route.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin