Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Animals in Winter

The Muscovy ducks don't seem to mind the cold at all. Often they sleep outside even though they have a nice warm, straw lined shelter under one of the porches.

We have a Shetland Goose now (at lest that's what we are about 95% sure she is) that doesn't seem to notice that it's winter at all. Goose and Lucky (Pekin drake is named Goose, it gets confusing) only seem to notice the winter cold a tiny bit more than the Goose. They all prefer to spend the day laying together in the snow. I'm not sure they could be coaxed into their shelter at all if it weren't for the fact that's where the food is!

The chickens will come outside if they don't have to walk though any snow that actually covers their toes. This pictures is a rare thing this time of year. Usually it's only a brave few that venture out of the coop to actually enjoy the sunshine. Most of them just crowd by the door wishing for spring and bugs to eat.
Now the goats, they are my animals to the core. They do NOT like that cold white stuff at all. Leah (the Nubian) couldn't even be convinced to come out and play during the brief warm spell we had a few weeks ago that melted all the snow in their yard. After a lot of effort, I did manage to coax Leah and Cream Soda out of the stall.
Ginger Ale, on the other hand, wasn't falling for it. She likes to look at me like I've lost my mind, unless I bring cookies. Then she is the first one to the fence. I forgot the cookies today.

1 comment:

~*~ Shar ~*~ said...

I'm with the goats! I'd prefer to not waller around in the snow and wish spring would come faster!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin